Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Electric Hearts Play March 12 at The Nick

The Electric Hearts



By Lee Waites
 
I had a little phone interview with Jessica Breanne of The Electric Hearts yesterday. They're coming to The Nick Monday the 12th. Right now, that's tomorrow. So I said I would introduce them.


I'll start by saying Jessica has one hell of a voice. I've heard her compared to a whole bunch of people. I liken her to Shingai Shoniwa of The Noisettes myself. But as usual, I recommend you just watch the video at the end and make it up for yourself.


The Electric hearts are definitely a type of Blues. I say "a type" because the sound slips in and out of several different genres. But it retains a Blues base that is unmistakable.


Jessica was a pleasure to talk to, even calling me sir the whole time. She exuded a Southern charm and politeness that reflects all the good things about our culture. I'm assuming by the videos and several comments she made, she also knows how to have a "good ole' time." I believe they'll be hitting the town after the show. So any recommendations on where to go, throw out their way. I told them they need to go to Marty's for sure. They are hitting the road back to her home state of Texas the next day, "for a little South by Southwest (SXSW.)"


They've opened for the Alabama Shakes. Jessica says that she was so glad to meet some other performers on the road that seemed to have a real genuine attitude. "Some bands had this attitude about themselves, like how they were really cool. But the Alabama Shakes were really nice people. It was really refreshing to be around them. They were just, like, Southern nice people." said Jessica.  "I'm from Texas. So I miss the small town mentality of being nice to everyone."


All the sweet crap aside. When you watch her sing you're not thinking sweet. She belts the hell out of the lyrics. For one Valentine's show, Apocalyptic Love, they had a video of Carrie playing on a screen in the background. And the music for that show was anything but sweet.


The band has been together for two years. They released an album not long ago when they were still known as Jessica Breanne and the Electric Hearts if anyone is in a buying mood.


The band is Jessica Breanne -vocals, Matt Johanson - bass, Sam Stewart - guitar, Mike Odmark - keys/guitar and Stephen Smith - drums. 

Welcome to Birmingham guys. Have a great show!

No comments:

Post a Comment