Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lydia Loveless Can Drink Now!

By Lee Waites

I blurted out, unceremoniously and without a bit of smooth, “So do you like the term country punk, or cowpunk or any of those things to describe your music? I don’t mean to be offensive. I just don’t hear any punk.”

“No,” she said. “I would probably say more rock-n-roll.”

“I was thinking more like power country,” I said.

“I’ve never heard that one before,” she laughed politely.

“Nope, nope. I just made that one up. Somebody has to make shit up.”

She’s been compared to Neko Case. That’s fair. “It’s a flattering comparison.” Lydia says. There is a similar sound, though she doesn’t consider Neko Case one of her major influences.

“So who do you like to sit around and listen to when you’re having a beer?” I asked.

She thought for a second “I like Sunny Sweeney a lot lately. It really depends on my mood.”
I told her that “depending on my mood” thing was cheating.

“OK. She said, “Sitting around drinking beer I would have to say Hank Williams.” I made sure she meant Senior. She did. 

I listened back to my interview and realized how completely dorky I sounded, which made me feel great. I mostly write. So I can read what I’m saying and realize how dorky it is before I put it out there to be read. Of course, I put it out there anyway. I would be lying if I said I didn’t love dorky.

I completely sounded like I was being fatherly to Lydia. I’ve always been worried I would never stop being attracted to girls much younger than me. My voice was almost like a grandmother. I’ve always found women my own age attractive, still do. The field of potential embarrassment has just seemed to always grow and grow. It’s always just started at 21 and worked its way up to whatever age I happen to be. So I figured I would just be some creepy old dude who never stopped liking 21 year olds, even when I got to be 80 or something. But my conversation with Lydia clearly showed that I am becoming appropriately old. 

In my ridiculous fatherly voice I asked her about touring with her dad. She tours with her dad you see. He is her drummer. She writes her own songs. She’s cute as a button but tough as nails. That sort of thing. Those sort of questions. 

I feel I’ve buried the lead though. In September Lydia Loveless turned 21. Now some of you may have forgotten that feeling. But to someone her age, man. POW! She can step up to the bar and order for herself . Now, she can legally booze it up at the venues where she plays. So when you go see her show at the Nick this coming Friday, the 14th, buy her a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment